WHAT’S THE META WITH YOU?: TRADEMARK PROTECTION IN THE METAVERSE
What is Web 2.0, Web 3.0, and the Metaverse?
What is Web 2.0 – This is the version of the internet that we are using today.
- Rich User Experience or Interactive – For instance, users can click on an image to enlarge it or to find out more information about it.
- User Participation – Users can participate in Web 2.0 by writing reviews, commenting and creating user generated content.
- Folksonomy – This version of the internet allows users to classify information. For instance, users can classify information by tagging people in pictures.
- Social and Collaborating – Users can socialize and share content like in Google Docs or Facebook.
- Closed and Centralized – Websites are closed and centralized. They are found in one unique place and owned by one company.
What is Web 3.0?
- Decentralized – Storing data on peer to peer networks or on the blockchain instead of being stored by big companies.
- What is a “blockchain”? A blockchain is a distributed database of verified records shared among different parties on a peer-to-peer network. The core elements of a blockchain are as follows:
WHAT IS THE METAVERSE? – The metaverse is a virtual reality that will allow users to interact with a computer generated environment and other virtual users.