How to file a substitute specification for a US Patent Application
To file a substitute specification for a US patent application, there are 3 required parts to submit to the USPTO.
- Marked-up copy with markings showing all the changes relative to the immediate prior version of the specification of record
- Clean copy (without markings)
- Signed statement that the substitute specification contains no new matter.
The ENTIRE specification is required for the marked-up and clean copies, not just the amended portion.
Marked up vs. clean copy
Marked up copy:
- A version that shows ALL changes to the most recent specification of record with markings.
- Additions of text are underlined.
- Deletions of text are shown by strike-through, except double brackets
- A version that includes ALL changes to the most recent specification of record without markings.